Certified Providers of Information Technology (IT) Products, Services & Training
The National Information Technology Authority, Uganda (NITA-U), was established under the National Information Technology Authority, Uganda Act, 2009 and among the Authority’s functions is the certification of providers of information technology (IT) products, services and training in Uganda.
NITA-U implements this Certification function in accordance with the National Information Technology Authority, Uganda (Certification of Providers of Information Technology Products and Services) Regulations, 2016 as amended in 2018, as well as the National Information Technology Authority, Uganda (Authentication of Information Technology Training) Regulations, 2016.
IT certification purposes to deliver a number of benefits to the government, IT industry, IT Professionals and consumers of IT products and services as well as the general public, some of which include;
- Regulation of the IT sector to ensure that only companies and professionals that meet laid down requirements are certified to offer IT products and services to government and the public;
- Improved Quality of IT Products and Services;
- Increased consumption of local IT Services in preference to off-shore IT Services in line with the Buy Uganda Build Uganda (BUBU) policy;
- Enhanced consumer protection and satisfaction for IT products and services which boosts confidence in local providers;
- Competitive advantage for IT Service Providers which facilitates access to diverse markets;
- Promotion of development of local IT solutions (conforming to international standards and best practice) has a potential to reduce the cost of IT products and services to consumers;